Microwave "Baked" Sweet Potato
Microwave “Baked” Sweet Potato
Why am I adding a microwave recipe to a cooking blog? Because it's exhausting to figure out how to have a healthy-ish meal on the fly in an office if you didn't bring leftovers to work, or if you don't want to spend $18 on a salad. And sometimes, I don't have the patience to wait 45 minutes for it to bake in the oven.
If I were Forrest Gump’s BFF Bubba, but my shrimp were sweet potatoes, I could go on and on about different ways I enjoy it. I like baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries, sweet potato chips, scalloped sweet potatoes, sweet potato mash, sweet potato pie, sweet potato casserole, boiled sweet potatoes, grilled sweet potatoes, candied sweet potatoes…
Sweet potatoes are a great carbohydrate side dish or meal as well as a rich source of fiber, carotenoids, protein, vitamin A and vitamin C, to name a few.
Pop that spud in the microwave and you will have the same delicious treat in under 10 minutes, without compromising taste or quality.
MICROWAVED “BAKED” SWEET POTATOES
Total time: 7 to 12 minutes
- 1-3 Sweet potatoes or Yams
- Optional toppings: butter, salt, pepper, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, olive oil, sour cream
- Wash and scrub the potato, then prick/stab several times with a fork on each side*.
- Wrap each potato in a damp paper towel (to keep skin moist) and place on a microwave safe plate. If cooking multiple potatoes, space equal distances apart to cook evenly.
- Microwave on high for 6 minutes for 1 medium sweet potato, or 10 to 12 minutes for 2-3, turning over once halfway through*.
- Cut in half, sprinkle with optional toppings and serve immediately.
*Pricking before baking is a crucial step to avoid bursting by allowing steam into the potato while cooking.
**The outside of the potato will slightly crisp which is an indicator that it is ready. If you cannot cut through easily, pop back into the microwave for another 1 to 2 minutes until soft.
Pairs well with: Chiraz, chablis, steak, chicken, greens or simply by itself.
Soundtrack Pairing: The Lazy Song (Bruno Mars)